Following the meeting with providers of public transport services in Niger State, the Honourable Commissioner, Ministry of Transport, Hajiya Rahmatu Mohammed Yar’adua, hereby issues the following guidelines for the commuting public to comply with effective from 25th March, 2020.
IN ORDER TO DISCOURAGE OVERCROWDING AND KEEP SOCIAL DISTANCING which are found to be effective control measures against COVID 19,
1. All motorcycles (both private and commercial) are banned from carrying passenger(s) until the situation of coronavirus crisis improves.
2. All tricycles (keke) are allowed only a maximum of 3 occupants, including the driver ALONE in front and two passengers at the back.
3. All 7-seater vehicles (e.g. Sharon and Ford Galaxy) shall not carry more than 6 occupants, including the driver.
4. 14-18-seater buses shall carry only a maximum of 10 passengers at any time, including the driver.
5. All 5-seater vehicles (salon cars) are allowed only 4 occupants, including the driver, who must seat wide apart.
6. All other high capacity buses are not allowed to carry more than 60% of their carrying capacity, including the driver. A 30-seater would therefore carry a maximum of 20, and so on.
7. All public transport vehicles (tricycles, cars and buses) are encouraged to stock alcohol based sanitizers, wipes, tissues and other disposable items to be used by passengers and for wiping surfaces frequently.
8. These directives shall be enforced by the VIO, FRSC and other road marshals.
9. NURTW, NARTO, ACOMORAN, RTEAN and other affiliate transport unions shall cooperate maximally and shall ensure compliance.
10. It would be an offence to condone, encourage and allow overcrowding in public transport.
11. Provisions of these guidelines shall apply to water transport in the riverine areas accordingly.
PLEASE STAY SAFE!.
Hajiya Rahmatu Mohammed Yar’adua
Honorable Commissioner, Ministry of Transport. Niger state.